although my time in austin hasn’t been sufficient enough to thoroughly evaluate the city or its inhabitants, i can already tell i’m going to like it here in this city. a lot. why, you ask?
1. sweet friends who let me sleep in their extra beds and eat their food. haha! no, really. i’m beyond thankful that the iveys and bushs are so generous to let me bounce between their houses while i look for a full time job. i only hope one day i can repay them in some way!
2. a healing and awakening of my soul in the community of the austin stone. in a conversation yesterday, it was said that we truly know when we’re in a healthy church because we’re painfully aware of how messed up we are. i’m learning to rely on christ’s grace and mercy instead of my own futile efforts… it’s the beginning of a long journey to healing.
3. diversity. i love the cultural diversity of this town. my spanish is very mediocre, but here i’m surrounded by people who speak english, spanish, german, vietnamese, chinese… and i love it! i love observing the differences between cultures and the conversations that transpire.
4. the weather. despite the fact that 19 of the past 20 days have been over 100 degrees, austin has weather like a beach town. pretty blue skies and quick rain showers [most of the time]. you know this girl loves beach weather!
6. hills and trees! austin’s landscape is decieving… it looks as if someone took pieces of tennessee and planted them in texas. it’s beautiful.
6. coffeeshops galore. i loved my favorite coffeeshop in dallas [the crooked tree] but it was really the only non-starbucks java the city had to offer. not so here! i have handfuls of recommendations i’ve yet to try. i’m currently sitting at epoch’s coffee (24 hour! whee!) sipping on an iced mojo… procrastinating. eek.
alright. on to those resumes!